Tuesday, May 3, 2016

A Chapter A Day: Keys of Candor: The Red Deaths By Casey Eanes and Seth Ervin

                A Chapter a Day: Day One
            Keys of Candor: The Red Deaths

            (By Casey Eanes and Seth Ervin-Available for purchase on Amazon)


I want to try something new. We had an amazing response with the "Cosplay In 20 Days Or Less" segment so I am going to basically do a book review one chapter at a time and then I will do an over all conclusion on the book in its entirety, how I feel about the characters and where I think it is heading and what the book meant to me. This strange segment will be called "A Chapter a Day" and I really hope that you follow me through the mental mind trip that reading can be. If you want to go a step further and join me in this adventure you can purchase your own copy of The Red Deaths on amazon at This link right here.  Or if you are a "kindle unlimited" person then you can read it for free. I don't know what that means but the word free was there so I thought it would be good to mention. :P
Lets get started!


~~~~~Twenty Minutes Later~~~~~
Chapter One was brutal!
I am no stranger to tragedy and chaos but this was organized in such a beautiful way I couldn't help but be reminded of the movie Red Dawn (the original).
The first chapter introduces you to Grift and Kull, a father and his son. My first reaction was love. I adore the names even though mentally I am pronouncing Kull as Cole which I don't think is right but whatever. I might email the authors to find out... also, I am going to sound really weird for a second but the way they describe Grift, that's right I am talking about the father, in the first scene is very attractive. He radiates confidence and knowledge while still being skillful and in control.
You clearly understand a lot about Kull right off the bat. He is being groomed for a "glorious" future. His father is important and strong and is training him to be the same way but Kull doesn't resent him. He admires him and wants to be like him. He is determined and motivated to succeed, but this is all a flash back.
Then this chapter gets intense.
That happy, promising life that you were expecting.... Well, it died.
(This isn't a spoiler because it is mentioned on the blurb on the back of the book)
War has broken out across the realms and Grift was called to the front of it. Kull's dream of becoming a soldier and joining his father got replaced by taking care of his mother who has fallen ill.
This sort of hit home with me because I understand how it feels to take a step back from what you want to do with your life to take care of someone else. It's hard to properly convey that feeling, especially when writing, but Seth and Casey did an amazing job.
You don't really know what to feel, its not anger or sadness or anything.... The world just seems bleak and colorless and you just want someone else to be there to help you handle it.
The authors conveyed that in less than a paragraph. 
Above I mentioned that this reminded me of the movie Red Dawn.
The reason for that is because since Kull couldn't go off to war, they decided to bring the war to him! Burning everything down and killing hundreds in the process. Do you guys remember the scene in Red Dawn where they kill Jed and Matt's father?
Yeah. It could be worse. What if the father lived? I don't know if that is what happened but I have a feeling that it is..........


Note: this is fanart of I don't know who. That is a paraphrasing of a quote from the book.
Character shout out:
Hang in there Kull!!!!



GRRRR I don't want to spoil this book but my reactions to this chapter is just... gah. I am developing a severe emotional connection to Kull and it is only the first chapter. I want to hurry up and read to where the bad guys are because I like being able to love the bad guy. There is no sadness when they die/get defeated because you see it coming from a mile away but I will remain strong and read only one chapter a day and I will report back to you immediately so that we can all process (and cry), debate (and cry) and fangirl/fanman (and cry) together!  :)

I promise that day 2 will be a better assessment of the chapter, I can't possibly be emotionally attached to two characters in a row. Right?! O.o
Thanks for the read!!!

~Aki Ame Okami







 

No comments:

Post a Comment