Saturday, May 14, 2016

A Chapter a Day: Day 12 "The Red Deaths" by Seth Ervin and Casey Eanes

                         A Chapter a Day: Day 12

Reviewing "The Red Deaths" book one in the Keys of Candor Series by Casey Eanes and Seth Ervin.


It is a Saturday evening and for some reason you have joined me once again on this exhilarating adventure. This chapter is going to be a ton of fun so without postponing it any longer grab your books and lets read!

~~~~20-ish Minutes Later~~~~~

We are too far into the book for me to be able to not spoil anything while reviewing the chapters. That's the cold hard truth.
So there will be SPOILERS below. You have been warned.

This is just one of the cutest things from the LoTR fandom.



I laughed out loud and creeped out my roommates when I read,
"She could not help but notice how truly handsome he was. Her logic relaxed. Stop it. You're hungry and tired." Yeah, I usually think about attractive men when I am hungry and tired as well.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Seriously though, if you don't find that funny than one of us must be an alien.  I am so glad they didn't find Grift. That man needs to be free. Though it is pretty cool that he is worth starting a war over. I am almost starting to believe that Grift might actually be killing the kings. Then I get stuck between the circumstantial evidence that Grift did it and Hosp's generally evil nature. The only problem with the Hosp theory is that I don't find him capable of pulling it off. He has tried not once but twice to kill Seam and both times have failed. If he wanted him dead that badly and had already killed 2-3 kings than he would kill him already. Stuff just isn't adding up..
Willyn, What would you have done if that first morel had been Grift? All of your efforts so far would have been pointless. You really need to get a hold of that quick-draw complex. Also, in the book it says "Its red eyes were fixated on Willyn as if it knew she was the one who killed its kin." Well, the first morel did leave a  gash on your cheek so it might be a little obvious that you were the one who shot it. Speaking of that gash, when Willyn got caught in the bog I kept waiting for her to mention the way the mud stung when it lapped over her cheeks and her fresh cut, even though it had been there for around half an hour, in the pouring rain it wouldn't have scabbed over yet so the wound was still open.
She never mentioned that but I get that there was a lot going through her head with the "last words" train of thought.
Her last words would have been her calling out for Luken. Can all the shippers here just take a moment to appreciate that fine cannon.
(Ship = relationship, shippers = people who support a ship, Cannon = the official ship approved by the authors.)

Ahem... Speaking of our attractive captain.

Luken is one of The Five! The way he commanded the morels and the way he appeared to age afterwards makes me think that he is the same as Ayna!!! It also makes sense how he got back on the boat so fast when Willyn shot at him back in chapter 9. He seems to be a good guy but I think that would be really cool if one of the dark creatures lived in Candor long enough to... not want to destroy it(?). Then again he could still plan on destroying things and just have a really good poker face. We haven't had a chapter from his POV so I can't really tell how his head works. If he isn't one of them then he is definitely a Monk. I really like his character an appreciate how we have a solid character who expresses a fair range of emotions and remains strong. Who am I comparing him to? Kull and Wael mainly, Willyn too but to a less extent.
Kull is strong but his emotions are all over the place. He did mentally mature some a few chapters ago so our hero is on the rise.
Wael is strong but has no emotions at all so far so its pretty humorous to even try and compare the two.
Willyn is headstrong and I think she relies a little too much on fire power. She is doing the right thing just maybe in a more forceful way than needed. Up until we met Luken she had kept her emotions (except anger) bottled up so it wasn't really fair to add her to the comparison chart.
     There are more words below


Direct quote from page 162. I seriously need to pick pictures that fit the blog format but we all know that wont happen.


I am glad that we are seeing her grow as a person.

I read this entire chapter while picturing it in my mind and the part that I thought deserved a direct quote the best was that moment where she found peace amidst the storm.  What a warped childhood that had to have happened for her to feel comforted by the sound of explosions. This is all too real though because there are plenty Veterans of our own wars that feel at home among the roaring of gun fire and explosions and yet uncomfortable in a peaceful home environment. That is probably just me overthinking things though.
I really enjoyed todays chapter and I am looking forward to tomorrows chapter.
Now if only I will stop slacking off and go write SoulThief's chapter that is due by noon tomorrow. I made it hard on myself this week by deciding to redo the next 2 weeks of plot line. For the sake of a story things like that have to be done.
I wonder how many times Seth and Casey (or should I be calling them Mr. Ervin and Mr. Eanes?) redid parts of this book? All the authors I have met so far have changed up their plot lines and have fixed at least one chapter after it was written up, so I only feel a little bad about becoming a victim of the plotline plague.

Anyways, be sure to join me tomorrow! Have a great Sunday!

~Aki Ame Okami











2 comments:

  1. Aki Ame Okami, The Red Deaths took us three years to finish, and we wrote probably around 7 drafts before the final product was revealed. But once we got going we flew. Sea of Souls took only a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And call us Seth and Casey, please ;)

    ReplyDelete