Tuesday, May 10, 2016

A Chapter a Day: Day 8 "The Red Deaths" By Casey Eanes and Seth Ervin

                           A Chapter a Day: Day 8
Reviewing "The Red Deaths" book 1 in the Keys of Candor Series by Seth Ervin and Casey Eanes.

Yesterday's chapter was very promising and I can't wait to read today's so enough babbling, grab your books and lets read Chap. 8!

~~~~~~~~20-ish minutes later~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Oh my... Seam has gone off the deep end. I thought he was already there but he proved me wrong. We are only a few hours into his coronation and he is already trying to get himself killed.

We did however get to meet Bronson. This is (unfortunetly) Seam's "Captain of The Guard" so basically I think that is like a body guard.  Bronson has a good moral compass so far. He wants nothing to do with secret meetings or forbidden lands and he doesn't appear to trust Seam even though he is the new sovereign. It takes more than a title to garner trust.  That reminds me, we had some very nice vocabulary in this chapter!
We had "Staccato" which was used in a rather fascinating way.

stac·ca·to (Sta-Kado)

ADVERB
with each sound or note sharply detached or separated from the others:That was the first definition, however the second definition of the noun is going to work for the way I am going to explain it.
NOUN
A noise or speech resembling a series of short, detached musical notes:

Seam was speaking in short, detached sentences not really explaining anything and just barking orders.  I find the use of that word in that spot to be beautiful.
The other word used was Wanton. Now I haven't seen this word in a while but it is a very... suggestive... word generally. Thankfully the authors used this word in it's proper form!!! 
Wanton: (Wan-ten)  (of a cruel or violent action) deliberate and unprovoked:
Now this word has other definitions but I will leave those out for the sake of the blog.
 
I am going to change the topic back to new characters. We met a new (obviously evil) girl! With Willyn it was unclear as to if she was going to be good or evil but in chapter 6 it becomes apparent that she is going to be good. She has a heart of gold so it would be impossible for her to be evil. This new girl though, she is just seeping of evil mojo. Her name is Vashti.
Ironically, I can pronounce this one.
Vashti is described in a very mature manner, and I don't mean mature in a bad way. Her description is definitely something that was written by a man and not a boy. This is a direct quote from page 112,
"Her hair fell across her shoulders in intricate curls, a waterfall of midnight. Her skin was dark like mahogany and smooth like porcelain. It was her eyes, however, that captivated the old guard, causing him to feel young and full of vigor and passion. She was exquisite."
That sounds like a well thought out and fairly innocent complement, right? I like Kull, I really do, but that is not something that his character would have been able to say. He is a teenage boy with the mindset of maybe early 20's, if he was describing her like that it would not have been believable. The authors had the right idea to give this intimidating description of Vashti. She sounds beautiful but she also sounds like a force of nature. This is the perfect build up for introducing the true enemy. So even if Seam gets Captain Bronson killed he has still served his purpose from an authors POV. (Point Of View)


This chapter also alluded to the fact that the Alephian Monks are powerful beings.
"Alephian Monks, in a swell of religious fervor, destroyed the temples and shrines of the dark place, leaving them in ruins."
You don't say! This is further fueling the fire of suspicion that I
have for the Monks. If our own daily society has taught us one thing it is that nothing can be that peaceful and maintain absolute respect and religious rights. I am interested to see what little tidbit secrets are in the next chapter.

Alright on a more domestic note, someone asked me "Why do you do these day to day projects that eat up the majority of your time?".
I will be more than happy to answer that in a separate blog post at the end of the month once I am done with this project. The answer is rather personal and kind of long so it simply doesn't have a place in this blog post.
Also on a personal note, I will be out of town tomorrow so the chapter review is going to be written today and published tomorrow. I cannot even begin to guestimate a time for when that will happen so just be sure to check out our Facebook Page (Thats me) for the most recent updates.

Thanks for reading along with me! Hope you come back for tomorrow chapter!!!

~Aki Ame Okami  







No comments:

Post a Comment